Helping Our Community with Much Needed Resources
The Humane Society of Charlotte is making an impact in our local community and beyond through public education and services that save the lives of animals. One of the best ways that we can ensure a positive future for animals in the Charlotte region is to play a part in helping people care for and keep their pets in their homes.
We are making significant progress in this area by providing many resources, tools and education to pet families. These include our Critter Care Wellness Clinics, HSC Pet Food Bank, behavior support, iBuild fence building program, Pets for Life, Safety Net and partnerships with other non-profits like those listed below.
- HSC’s Safety Net Program assisted approximately 400 animals through emergency medical funds assistance. For more information about the Safety Net Program, click here to reach Mary Guecia, HSC Safety Net Coordinator.
- HSC’s iBuild Program completed 38 fence enclosures, benefitting 56 dogs. We also provided 217 tarps to help keep dogs cool and dry during the summer, and over 300 bales of straw to keep dogs warm and cozy during the winter. To make a donation to our HSC iBuild program, click here.
- HSC’s Pet Food Bank distributed over 52,000 pounds of food to over 2,200 pets – including our Meals on Wheels clients that received 1,800 pounds per month. Click here to learn more about HSC’s Community Outreach Pet Food Bank.
- HSC’s Critter Care Wellness Wednesday is held weekly at the HSC Spay/Neuter Clinic and gives our community the option for low-cost vaccines, microchips, etc. Fall/Winter hours are 9am-2pm and Spring/Summer hours are 8am-1pm. For more information click here.
Our Community Outreach staff participates in the following community networks and appreciates our partners that are listed:
– Crisis Assistance Ministry
– Meals on Wheels
– Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina
– Charlotte Housing Authority
– Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services
– Target HOA (Homeowner Associations)
– Latin American Coalition
– Habitat for Humanity
If you’re interested in learning more about our community relations efforts, please contact Mary Guecia, HSC Safety Net Coordinator at email@example.com.
Our Pets for Life program (PFL) builds humane communities using innovative strategies and fresh approaches designed to extend the reach of animal services, resources, and information to a targeted underserved area. In 2016, PFL’s target neighborhood is located off of Freedom Drive in Charlotte.
In 2016, HSC’s Pets for Life (PFL) program met with 477 new clients and 1,003 pets. The program completed 478 spay/neuter surgeries. PFL also made 1,143 essential vaccines, 385 microchips, 300 boxes of flea preventable and 82 vet visits for other medical issues available to clients. Our PFL team members address the critical need for accessible, affordable pet care while empowering the families to care for their pets and keep them in their homes rather than entering shelters.
If you would like to learn more about PFL, please contact Bennett Simonsen, our Pets for Life Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.