With the status of the coronavirus (COVID-19) changing rapidly, the Humane Society of Charlotte is taking precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the Charlotte community while still upholding our duty to care for the animals at our shelter and the members of the community that need us. Please read below to see temporary changes and closures to our everyday services and operations. All changes are currently valid until further notice and are subject to change.
Be assured that we are monitoring the situation closely and following the advice from public health officials. The health and well-being of the animals in our care, HSC staff and the communities we serve are always our top priority. Infection prevention is something we practice every day at HSC to keep the animals safe, so we already have many best practices ingrained in our culture. While we do not know the future impact of this virus, we are attempting to be as prepared as possible. HSC is taking this day by day and the safety of our animals, staff, volunteers and the public is of the utmost importance. We thank you for your support and your patience as we navigate this unprecedented time.
See below for details on all HSC programming:
All adoptions will be done by appointment only. If you are interested in adopting an animal from HSC, we ask that you visit petango.com/HSC to view our available animals. If you would like to adopt, click on the animal’s profile, scroll down and click “Interested in this animal? Click here” and fill out your information. We will only schedule appointments by application to ensure that each interested party is seen in order of application submission. Appointments will not be scheduled via email, phone call, or social media.
Applications will be used only to help streamline appointments and minimize exposure between members of the community. We will continue our practice of open adoptions and will not be instituting interviews or home-visits. Must be 18 or older to submit an adoption application.
Once your application has been submitted, someone from our team will contact you within 48 hours.
If you have concerns or questions about specific animals, their behavior or their adaptability with other pets in your home, please visit their profiles on our website, or email our customer service team.
We will not be accepting new fosters at this time. All foster orientations and information sessions will be canceled until further notice. If you are a current HSC foster, please reach out with any questions or concerns to our HSC Foster Coordinator.
We have temporarily suspended our Volunteer Program. For any questions or concerns please email our Volunteer Programs Manager.
- Animal surrenders will be scheduled through appointment only. Please click here for more information.
Supplies & Donations
- Donate to the Humane Society of Charlotte by ordering from our Amazon Wishlist and allow Amazon to deliver directly to the shelter.
- Monetary donations are incredibly helpful during this time and will allow us to purchase items that as needed. Please donate here.
Behavior Training Classes & Appointments
Saturday First Class Canine Training Classes scheduled through April 30 will be canceled and rescheduled for a future date. Class dates will be announced as soon as possible.
Community Cat Program
- Community Cat TNR procedures will continue until further notice for Community Cats caretakers currently in possession of traps.
- Community Cat Trap new loans will be suspended until April 30 in accordance with the Mecklenburg Co. Shelter in Place mandate.
- Community Cat Pet Food Bank is temporarily suspended. Please contact our Community Cat Programs Manager with questions by clicking here.
- Working Cat Adoptions will continue via appointment only.
Due to CMS school closures, HSC Humane Education classroom visits and tours will be suspended. We hope to resume these when CMS resumes classes. HSC Humane Education will continue to accept reservations for birthday parties, classroom visits and tours with appointments tentatively re-starting in May.
- Humane Education At-Home Activities: Looking for fun and educational activities to do while you’re at home and out of school? Check out the links below for fun and engaging activities kids of all ages can do in the comfort and safety of their own home!
- Humane Education Scavenger Hunt: Head outside with a parent and hunt to find these items in nature! Make sure to draw or take a picture of what you find. Click here!
- Story Writing: Use this Story Map Writing Graphic Organizer and writing prompts to stretch your imagination and flex those literary muscles.
- Humane Education Coloring Sheets: Practice those fine motor skills and let your inner artist out with these fun and informative coloring sheets. Click here or here!
- Humane Education Worksheets: Practice basic math and learn about canine safety with this fun worksheet! Click here For a fun activity book about pet needs and safety, click here!
- Red Rover’s Website: An interactive & bilingual digital book series to teach kids about empathy. (Also available as an app on your smartphone!) Click here!
Pet Food Bank
- Pet Food Banks will operate on a delivery system for existing Pet Food Bank clients. We ask that the Pet Food Bank recipients help us by following a “no-contact” delivery system. HSC Community Outreach Coordinator, K.C. Thompson will drop off supplies on the recipient’s front door, ring the doorbell, and then leave.
- Individual outreach requests will be taken on a case-by-case basis by appointment only. Please email our Community Outreach Coordinator here.
- The Humane Society of Charlotte Spay/Neuter Clinic will be closed to the public until further notice. Please contact our clinic via email to reschedule your pet’s surgery.
- Critter Care Wellness Clinic is suspended through April 16 in accordance with the Mecklenburg County Shelter in Place mandate.
Pet Palooza Rerouted – A Virtual Walk for the Animals | April 25, 2020
Due to concerns surrounding COVID-19, the Humane Society of Charlotte has decided to shift its annual Pet Palooza Walk & Festival to a virtual vendor fair and fundraising walk. The health and safety of our staff, volunteers, and supporters is of the utmost importance.
Pet Palooza REROUTED will be a way for the Charlotte community to not only support the Humane Society of Charlotte via the online fundraising walk but also local small businesses through the online vendor fair.
More information about how you can join in the virtual fun coming soon!
Hiring and Working with HSC
All hiring for new positions and internships is currently on hold.
As our families and our community respond to COVID-19, our staff and volunteers continue their tireless efforts to care for the animals who need our help.
These are unprecedented times, but with the ongoing support of friends like YOU, we will never stop showing animals the best that humans can be. Your generosity helps us keep going and helps us heal their wounds, inside and out, while keeping them safe, fed and loved until their forever family comes along. Together, we make our community and our world a better place for all.
Our greatest need in order to provide care to the animals during these very uncertain times is monetary donations. If you would like to make a donation, you can do so by clicking here.
Thank you for all you do for the animals.