Student Service Days
Too young to volunteer with HSC but want to make a difference? Eager to help animals and learn about the mission of HSC? Need service hours? Sign up for one of our Student Service Days!
This is a monthly opportunity available on teacher workdays and school holidays to students ages 8-15 years old. Students will earn service hours as they learn about the various needs of cats and dogs and how they can advocate for the animals through hands-on service opportunities. We will cover issues such as animal care, community needs and how they, as young people, can influence change for the better.
The type of projects we do will be dependent upon HSC needs at the time but may include projects like cleaning (cat towers, kennels, crates, etc.), enrichment preparation, putting together adoption bags and folders, sorting donations, and cat socialization. We recommend students wear clothes and shoes they don’t mind getting dirty and shoes must be closed-toe (no crocs). We are going to get hands-on and help take care of our animals at HSC!
Check our calendar of events here.
Will students get to play with animals?
- Yes! We will reserve some time for animal interaction so students may connect to the animals their service is benefitting the most! However, we reserve the right to limit or stop animal interaction based on behavior and safety.
Why is there a cost?
- Putting on a youth event takes planning, resources, and staff. As a non-profit, your registration fee goes into covering the time and resources it takes to put on an event and also goes to benefit the mission and work of HSC helping the animals.
What do students need to wear and bring?
- Students need to wear long pants, closed-toe shoes, and may bring a water bottle.
Is this for children only or can parents come?
- This is for student participants only. While they will be supervised by an HSC employee, it is important they feel responsible and are able to work independently. Parents/guardians will pick up and drop off their student(s) and is a great time to get some errands done or enjoy a couple hours to themselves!
What’s your refund policy?
- If you need to cancel for any reason, we offer refunds up to 10 days before the program date. Within 10 days of the program, we cannot refund or change your registration to another date. It will be considered a donation to HSC.
Can we bring donations to the Student Service Day?
- Of course! We will gladly accept any donations you or your students collect or buy. Please see our wish list (here) for current needs. Donations are greatly appreciated and may be accepted as additional service hours (see our Student Service Hours page: Student Service Hours – Humane Society of Charlotte )
My students want to join but are too young/old! What else can they do?
- Check out the Calendar of Events for upcoming programs geared toward other ages and the Youth Programs site for other options as well. Don’t see anything of interest? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with program requests!
Other questions or concerns? Please email email@example.com.