Adopting at HSC
Thank you for your interest in the animals we have at the Humane Society of Charlotte. Please check out our current dogs here which are available for adoption. We have many wonderful animals that need homes.
If you see a dog or cat that you are interested in, please visit us at our 2700 Toomey Avenue shelter (open daily 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) and our HSC Petco Adoption Center in Huntersville – click here for directions (open daily 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
Once you’ve decided that you’d like to adopt a pet, there are some actions that the Humane Society of Charlotte suggests that you take.
You will want to research just the right pet for you, your family and your circumstances – take a look at the information below. We hope it is helpful as you proceed with adoption:
- Learn about different breeds and mixes. Which traits will work best for you?
- Are you ready for a dog?
- What a puppy is not.
- Visit the Humane Society of Charlotte & our HSC Petco Adoption Center Huntersville to meet all the animals.
- Find an animal that is compatible with you, your home and your lifestyle – now and in the future.
- Spend quality time interacting with the animal you’d like to adopt. Many times an animal’s behavior is different when away from other animals or in a kennel. The animal displaying bad manners or not paying attention may just be scared and lonely.
Our Dog / Puppy Adoption Fees:
We offer a variable adoption fee structure. Variable adoption pricing allows us to provide top quality care for all animals. Adoption fees are based on a number of factors such as age, size, breed or temperament. Having a higher adoption fee for some animals who find a home quickly enables us to create a financial legacy for those animals in need of lifesaving medical and behavioral intervention. Our basic adoption includes a veterinary and behavior screening/testing, spay/neuter surgery, all initial vaccinations, a microchip and 30 days of pet insurance.
Our Cat / Kitten Adoption Fees:
Kittens – Under 5 months – $140 / 5 months and older – $100
Cats – over 6 months of age: $100
You’ll also want to commit to being a responsible pet owner. This will include:
- Lavishing the necessary time and love on your pet.
- Understanding the financial commitment involved.
- Providing the necessary medical care and exercise for your pet.
- Training to ensure good behavior and manners.
Behavior & Training Program
A well-mannered canine member of the family is a superdog!!! Want to learn more? Click here!