The Adoption Process
Find our hours of operation here.
- Check our website – Once you’re interested in adopting, your first stop should be the HSC website. All of our available animals are listed, along with photos and a description of their personality. Our website updates every 30 minutes, so you’ll always have the most up-to-date information on which dogs and cats are waiting for their new family. Keep in mind, all animals are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Once you find someone you’re interested in, come to the shelter to meet them.
- Once You’ve Arrived – Our HSC Adoptions Team will greet you. If you’re ready to meet your new friend, sign in at the pet adoptions queue at the front desk. You’ll have a brief conversation about your expectations, your lifestyle, animals that you’re interested in, any prior experience you have with pets, any breed concerns or restrictions (based on your place of residence), and more. This is NOT an interview. We’re simply hoping to help you find the best fit for your life and vice versa.
- After You Chat – Our adoption counselors will help you narrow it down to a max of 2-3 animals to meet. You’ll venture out to our adoption suites or the cat adoption area and meet the animals one at a time. Our counselors will go through the animal’s medical assessments, their behavior assessment, and any details that our staff has noticed while they’ve been with us. Please note, due to time constraints, we’re only able to meet and greet with a max of 3 animals.
- You’ve Met Your Match – If you’ve met an animal that you’re ready to adopt, more than likely you’ll be able to take them home that day. All adopted animals at HSC are required to be spayed or neutered. If this surgical procedure has already been completed, they are free to go home with you immediately. If they are awaiting surgery (typically kittens and puppies), we’ll complete the adoption process, schedule the surgery date, and on the day of surgery, let you know what time you can pick up your pet.
- Paperwork – During the final stages of adoption is when we take care of the paperwork. Our staff will go over and provide you with the animal’s medical exam forms, vaccine history, and behavioral assessment. You’ll sign all necessary waivers and contracts, we’ll provide information on your animals microchip registration and pet license, and make sure you have the appropriate leash/collar/carriers to take your animal home safely. Last, we’ll collect their adoption fee at our front desk.
- Welcome to the HSC Family – Our Customer Service team will follow up with you via email shortly after adoption and again within a few days to check in and address any concerns you might have and remind you to register your pet’s microchip with your information. Our team is always available for questions, concerns, or advice. We also love follow up photos and visits!
After adoption, if you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.