5 Ways to Celebrate National Adopt-A-Dog Month
October is for fall leaves, pumpkins, and adopting dogs!
Each year, the month of October is recognized as National Adopt-a-Dog month. The Humane Society of Charlotte welcomes an average of 160 new dogs per month to our shelter and while they stay with us as long as it takes for them to find their new loving family, we strive to place each of them in their new homes quickly.
HSC and the animals we care for depend on the generosity of our community and there is no better time than the holiday season to open your heart and home to a new furry family member.
If you're looking for a sign that it is time to adopt, this is it. Below, we've listed out all of the reasons you should participate in Adopt A Dog month.
- You are literally saving lives. When you adopt a dog from the Humane Society of Charlotte, you are saving two animals' lives; the one that you take back to your loving home and the one that will take their place in our kennels. The Humane Society of Charlotte operates under a no-kill philosophy, but not all animal shelters are afforded that luxury. When HSC transfers a dog into our kennels from a municipal shelter partner, we are saving them from a potential ticking clock. By adopting a dog and creating a vacancy in our kennels, you can count yourself directly responsible for saving that life and the one who arrives to take their place.
- Your mental health will thank you. It's simple fact - owning an animal improves overall mental health. It has been scientifically proven that the companionship of a dog reduces stress, lessens anxiety, eases loneliness and depression, increases a sense of motivation and purpose, and even improves cardiovascular health. Because October 10 is also World Mental Health Day, you can celebrate two holidays at the same time. Go you!
- You can jump-start those fitness goals. Get a head start on January 1 resolutions and get active with your dog now. That pup isn't going to walk themselves and you'll reap the benefits at the same time. Maybe you’re looking to increase your steps, or maybe you're just looking for some adventure. By adopting a new pup, you'll find it! Their curious nature and playful personalities are sure to help you find the new experiences you're seeking.
- Make new friends. If you want to bond with someone, ask them about their dog. Seriously! By becoming a dog owner, you can connect with other dog owners and create new friendships and relationships. Your friendly new pup might even help you break the ice with the cutie from the apartment down the hall. You're welcome.
- It will transform you. Becoming a dog owner will shift your perspective in the best way possible. You might learn to be more compassionate, responsible, empathetic, or you might just finally find a way to let go of the stress that you've been carrying around. Regardless, the unconditional love of a pet will change you forever.
To adopt a dog from the Humane Society of Charlotte, visit humanecharlotte.org/adoption and request an adoption appointment for the dog you're interested in meeting. Not sure what type of companion you’re looking for? That’s Okay. You can make a general appointment to discuss what you’re looking for in a furry friend and our adoption team will help you find your perfect match. Learn more here.