How To Keep Your Pets Safe During Pet Poison Prevention Week
The days are getting longer, the weather’s getting warmer, and flowers are blooming, which can only mean that Spring is here. With Springtime comes Easter, Spring cleaning, and a new seasonal set of allergens, all of which can potentially be a danger to your pets. To keep the spring in your pet’s step, read about potential springtime hazards below.
Chocolate is an obvious danger because cocoa is a well-known toxin to dogs and cats alike but treats like jellybeans, peeps, and candied eggs can all be toxic as well. All of these candies contain xylitol which is highly dangerous to pets and can even lead to pancreatitis. Beyond the candy itself, the foil wrappers themselves could be choking & blockage hazards. Last, but not least, make sure to keep traditional hot cross buns away from the edge of the counter, as those raisins are more dangerous than they seem. To play it safe, stick to veterinary-approved treats and fun toys for your furry friends’ Easter baskets!
Spring cleaning is a refreshing time of year, you can de-clutter your space and wipe away all the winter grime. Spring cleaning is cathartic for many of us but can pose a threat to your pets. Using natural products or chemical alternatives to clean is always a better option than using products with chemicals and additives. When that isn’t an option, pay close attention to products with warning labels that say “danger” or “warning” which could indicate high toxicity. If using these products, keep your pets clear of the room and allow for adequate air-flow.
In theory, it might be cute to see your dog or cat playing in a field of flowers, in truth, it could lead to some health complications in the long run. Some flowers to keep an eye out for are lilies, daffodils, azaleas, and bluebells! Lilies in particular are highly toxic to cats and can potentially lead to kidney failure. A daffodil bulb can be extremely toxic and the flower heads can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy in both dogs and cats. Like daffodils, bluebells can also cause vomiting, diarrhea, and the risk of arrhythmia. While not all flowers and plants are toxic to animals, it is best to keep your pets clear of ingesting any flora. If you notice your pet exhibiting any of these symptoms, don’t hesitate to take them to a vet and get them checked.
Just like humans, your pets can also be mildly to severely affected by an insect bite or sting. These are a bit harder to prevent, but in case it does happen here are some suggestions on what to do. For a bee sting, remove the stinger and bathe the area in a baking soda/warm water bath, to cleanse the area. You can also apply an ice pack to any area to soothe the sting. However, if your animal is stung near the mouth/neck or shows signs of swelling, distress, or difficulty breathing, seek help from a veterinarian. If your pet spends time in a wooded area, always make sure to always check your pet for ticks after they have been in a wooded or grassy area and keep their flea/tick medication up to date. Last, but certainly not least, make sure your pet is current on their heartworm preventative. Heartworms are spread by infected mosquito bites and adequate prevention medication can stop this parasitic infection from harming your pets.
Mulch and Slug/Snail Pellets
When tending to your garden this spring, pay close attention to what type of soil or mulch you are putting down. Some mulches and slug/snail pellets contain an extremely toxic chemical called metaldehyde, which can cause serious problems for pets if ingested. Signs of poisoning could arise within an hour of ingestion and can include, but is not limited to: sudden lack of coordination, muscle spasms, twitching, tremors, seizures, or even death. If you think your pet has ingested any mulch or slug/snail pellets please seek help from a veterinarian.
With the seasons changing, you can expect allergic reactions to flare up, not only in humans but also in your pets. While pet allergic reactions are typically not serious, they can be bothersome. Some symptoms of allergies could include itchy skin, watery eyes, sneezing, frequent head shaking, ear scratching, persistent paw licking, and more. Bathe your animal more often to remove any pollen, grass, or insect saliva from their skin, but watch for over-drying. For more help talk to your veterinarian to help reduce these symptoms.
Everyone loves a good outdoor barbeque, including your pets. Make sure to keep items like kebab skewers, alcohol, and animal bones out of reach of your furry friends! Many of these items have the potential to become choking hazards if ingested. Discourage your guests from sharing their table food with your pet. While it smells delicious, pets are better off sticking to their own food.
Author Credit: Sammi McKeel | UNCC
Learn more from our source information: