Surrender Your Pet
At the Humane Society of Charlotte, we strive to find the appropriate placement for healthy and treatable animals in our care. We are also committed to helping pet owners keep their pets with their families whenever possible. We understand that sometimes that is not an option and the decision to surrender is not an easy one, so we aim to make this process seamless.
If you are considering surrendering your pet, our staff will work with you to help you navigate this process. Please fill out the below form to begin this process.
- We will need to perform a physical and behavioral assessment to determine if your animal is a candidate for our adoption program.
- We do not accept animals demonstrating or with a history of severe bite or extreme behavior into our adoption program. (All other behaviors are evaluated and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.)
During the assessment
- We will determine if your animal is healthy and behaviorally sound.
- We will discuss with you various resources to assist you with keeping your pet or rehoming your pet on your own (help with the cost of care, food and/or supplies, etc.).
After the assessment has been completed
- Our staff will provide you with the options available for your pet.
- If your pet has been accepted for our adoption program, we will set up a surrender date and discuss the fees associated with surrendering your pet. Surrender dates are typically scheduled 2-3 weeks after the assessment.
- If your pet has not been accepted into our adoption program we will review the other services we offer with you, as well as examining other rehoming options you may be able to explore.
A member of our staff will contact you to discuss making an appointment for the assessment. If you are under a strict timeline for rehoming your pet, please mention this to the staff member assisting you as other resources may be needed in rehoming your pet. All assessments are by appointment only Tuesday through Saturday, times will vary depending on staff availability.
After determining an assessment time and date, we will send you the link to pay the $20 assessment fee to reserve your appointment time. This fee is non-refundable; if you choose to cancel your appointment this fee will be deposited as a donation to our behavior program so we can continue to provide these services to our community. If your animal is accepted into the adoption program, the assessment fee will be deducted from the surrender fee. After the fee has been received, we will send you an email confirming your appointment date and time.
The Humane Society of Charlotte offers behavioral counseling and assistance to help you resolve whatever behavioral concerns you may be experiencing. Sometimes pet owners feel they don’t have a choice but to surrender their pet due to behavioral concerns in the home (i.e. pets not getting along, destructive behaviors, aggression, etc.) We can set up a time for a behavior consultation to discuss the particular concerns you are experiencing and see if we can find an alternative to surrender and to keep them with you, their family. If you want assistance and are willing to work on the challenges, please let us know and we can set up an appointment to start working with you and your pet.
Potential Alternative to Surrendering Your Pet:
Rehoming your animal from home
The shelter environment can be inherently stressful so your pet may be better suited for adoption from your home where they are in their family setting. HSC supports the AdoptaPet.com service that allows you to list your animal for free and determine the next best adopter for your dog or cat. This is a great solution if you have a little more time to rehome your animal. Rehome your pet with AdoptAPet.