Why Adopting a Teachers Pet for Back-to-School is a good idea
It’s September and school is back in session and in a variety of ways! The Humane Society of Charlotte wants to get in on the fun by encouraging you to adopt a Teacher’s Pet of your very own!
But isn’t a new pet a lot to take on while kicking off a new school year, especially this one? We will tell you our Top 5 reasons why adopting a pet right now is a great idea!
1. Pets help kids learn responsibility. A new pet is a great way to help a child learn about responsibility and love. As the school year kicks off, and it looks different than it ever has before, what better time to focus on character building traits that a new pet can help identify.
2. A support buddy. This school year is going to be difficult for a lot of kids (and parents!) Frustration and adjusting to a new schedule is going to happen. Pets can help children feel extra love and support. Additionally, it’s been noted that children with pets display improved impulse control, social skills, and self-esteem!
3. Homework Support. Do you have a new reader in your household? Pets are the perfect audience. Studies have shown that emerging readers often feel like anxiety when reading aloud to an animal rather than a person and reading aloud helps to mentally stimulate pets in the home.
4. Exercise. Worried about your child not having any time to play outside or being too focused in front of a screen all day? Your child can play in the backyard with their new best buddy! Recess just got an upgrade.
5. There are still homeless pets, even now. The COVID-19 pandemic has not slowed down the number of homeless pets that need our help and new forever homes. Family members are more likely to be home now more than ever, which helps pets adjust to their new homes, training, and more easily and quickly.
The reasons for adopting a pet from the Humane Society of Charlotte this school year are immeasurable; from providing a classmate for virtual learning to stress relief to helping reduce screentime after the school hours are done, you’ll be glad you brought home your very own Teacher’s Pet.
Click HERE to view HSC’s Adoptable Pets